Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summer Time Jello Shots

So I went to a 'Girl Party' tonight for my friends birthday! It was a gathering during the day of all and only girls.  Eek! The hostess actually called it a f*@#^%ware party.   I was trying to bring something yummy and summer-y to eat/drink and remembered stumbling upon this 'Petite Watermelon' blog entry that Chocolate on my Cranium posted. I have been dying to make them but couldn't find a reason. Well an summer-time Anne Summers party seemed reason enough!

I spiced up the recipe a tad, making them Jello Shot Petite Watermelons and mmmm... they were good!

Here is what I did:
Ingredients:
  • 1 Large box of Red Jello 
  • 10 oz of Vodka
  • 6 oz of Cold water
  • 16 oz of Boiling water
  • 9 limes (they were small and made 18 total 'watermelons')
Instructions:
  • Cut limes in half longways and take a grapefruit spoon and hollow out the inside of the lime
  •  * Ok, I'm not going to pretend here, that part was not so much fun! Oh, and I saved all the inside bits to make a yummy limeade later!
  • Wash out all the stickiness and throw them upside down in a Colander to drip dry.
Make the Jello recipe:
  • In a separate bowl: mix the jello powder and the boiling water until all the lumps are gone
  • add the cold water and the vodka, mixing super well.
Now for where the magic happens:
  • pour the jello mix into the lime halves, filling them as high as you can make them. (I put my lime halves in a clear baking tray because the rim was high enough to stabalize them for they are quite shaky!)
  • pour any excess jello mixture you have in small cups for shooting out of. ( I used dixie bathroom cups because I had them-why I don't know, but I did)
  • put in the refrigerator and chill.
  • Refrigerate for approximately 3-4 hours or whenever ready
  • take out and cut the the lime pieces in half again! This will make it look more like a watermelon and it will be easier to 'shoot' from
  • ENJOY!!
Suggestions:
  • You can also sprinkle some sugar over the lime rind before pouring jello solution in, it will make it a little bit sweeter
  • If you want to make it look even more like watermelons, you can take mini chocolate chips and push them in with a skewer after about 30 min of chilling. I didn't do that since we were taking 'shots'.

No comments: