I spiced up the recipe a tad, making them Jello Shot Petite Watermelons and mmmm... they were good!
Here is what I did:
- 1 Large box of Red Jello
- 10 oz of Vodka
- 6 oz of Cold water
- 16 oz of Boiling water
- 9 limes (they were small and made 18 total 'watermelons')
- Cut limes in half longways and take a grapefruit spoon and hollow out the inside of the lime * Ok, I'm not going to pretend here, that part was not so much fun! Oh, and I saved all the inside bits to make a yummy limeade later!
- Wash out all the stickiness and throw them upside down in a Colander to drip dry.
- In a separate bowl: mix the jello powder and the boiling water until all the lumps are gone
- add the cold water and the vodka, mixing super well.
- pour the jello mix into the lime halves, filling them as high as you can make them. (I put my lime halves in a clear baking tray because the rim was high enough to stabalize them for they are quite shaky!)
- pour any excess jello mixture you have in small cups for shooting out of. ( I used dixie bathroom cups because I had them-why I don't know, but I did)
- put in the refrigerator and chill.
- Refrigerate for approximately 3-4 hours or whenever ready
- take out and cut the the lime pieces in half again! This will make it look more like a watermelon and it will be easier to 'shoot' from
- You can also sprinkle some sugar over the lime rind before pouring jello solution in, it will make it a little bit sweeter
- If you want to make it look even more like watermelons, you can take mini chocolate chips and push them in with a skewer after about 30 min of chilling. I didn't do that since we were taking 'shots'.